So I finally did set an appointment and it was determined that I would need to go off of the medications that have been helping me to live a relatively pain free normal existence for the past year. Didn't make the decision to stop at that appointment. Deep breath....then came the procrastination of going off the medication. I remembered how with Chloe it took us nearly a year to conceive, and then I was pregnant for nine months, and then I breastfed her for two years. Even if with this second child I only breastfed for one year that would be a minimum of a little over a year and half without my medication, and that's if we conceived right away. It took me some time and lots of prayers to accept this.
At the end of January we discussed how I would go off my medication. She told me to take it every other day for a week, it is not a medication to go cold turkey off of. My medication is called Duloxetine, aka Cymbalta, it's antidepressant often used to treat fibromyalgia. It is an SNRI (or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). It is also apparently a nightmare to go off of. If you feel like it you can read a little more about Cymbalta withdrawal by going here: http://www.drugwatch.com/cymbalta/withdrawal-symptoms/ .
The first week, even while still taking a dose every other day was unbearable. I thought I was going to need to be hospitalized. Even now, having not taken a dose of the medication for a week I am still having horrible withdrawal symptoms. The worst of it besides the massive migraines, hot flashes, pretty much constant nausea, and random extreme fits of rage, is what they call "Brain Zaps." I hope and pray that no one I know ever has to experience these. It is described as this:
"It feels as if your head, brain, or both have experienced a sudden shake, vibration, tremor, jolt, electric shock, or zap. Some people describe the head and brain zaps symptoms as if the brain has been suddenly jolted by electricity or strong electric charge."Brain zaps are a nightmare. Most of the other withdrawal symptoms I have somehow managed to function fairly well with. But these brain zaps are insane, I feel like I am constantly being electrocuted. Luckily they are getting better, but it does make me question going of the medication and having another kid. There are people who still feel the withdrawal symptoms up to a year after stopping. There have been many prayers going into this, I don't know what I'll do if it continues on much longer. But it also makes me question whether or not I want to even go back on this medication after having another child. Is it worth it if the withdrawal symptoms are so much worse than the actual illness that the medication is treating?
And so this is why I may seem a little more scatter brained and/or grumpy over the next bit. I'm going through withdrawal. My brain is feeling like I'm being electrocuted. There are moments where I feel like I shouldn't even be driving or walking or basically doing anything which would mean living. I know there are others out there with way more concerning health issues, but I still ask for prayers that I will not have to suffer through these withdrawal symptoms much longer. That I'll get pregnant in a timely manner so I can get back on a medication which will help me manage the pain of fibromyalgia, and hopefully it will be one that won't cause withdrawals should I suddenly decide that we need a third child....
I hope this didn't come across as a complaining post or maybe too personal, but I needed to put it out there as to why I may not seem completely like myself for who knows how long.
I've also come to the decision that I need to go back to school to get my Masters. I have found six programs for a Masters in General Psychology that are accredited by WASC that can be completed online. I just need to narrow them down and apply to whichever ones appear to be the best fit. They will hopefully be no more than 2 years to complete and after I am done I will hopefully be able to find a couple of positions teaching online, such as at BYU-Idaho, like Brian does. The more I thought about doing this, the more it made sense. I want to be able to continue being a stay at home mom, but I also feel like I need to help lighten Brian's load. He's working four part-time jobs and we're still barely able to survive living here in California. Hopefully Brian will be able to complete his dissertation over the next year so we can move to a less expensive place and that will help as well.
For awhile I've felt kind of stagnant. Things aren't bad, but I wasn't experiencing any growth myself. Now that I have made these plans for the future I feel a little more excited, despite the withdrawal symptoms. Life is about choices, and I'm excited to see what more choices I am presented with in the future.
I'm also on Cymbalta (for social anxiety) and I wonder all the time if it is worth it. Within 12 hours of missing a pill, I get severe "car sickness". Every little movement makes me want to puke. I just want to lay down and die! It's AWFUL! What is in this little pill that makes me feel so horrible when I don't take it?? I'd love to talk to my doc about weaning off of it, but that is a SCARY thought!!
ReplyDeleteI wish you and your beautiful family all the best in the world! I'll keep you in my thoughts and keep my fingers crossed that everything works out just as it should. :) ~Angie
Oh I'm sorry you are dealing with the same medication. It will be hell if you end up weaning off it and doctors seem to lack the knowledge on how to do it without having crazy withdrawal symptoms. If you do decide to wean off there are a lot of support groups with suggestions on what they did. Good luck.
Delete