Thursday, June 14, 2012

Yellowstone and....

It had almost been two years since Brian and I had the opportunity to go out to Yellowstone. Which is kind of sad considering its only a short distance away. Since Brian and I will be moving to California soon we decided to make it a priority to visit. I decided to check and see when the free weekends were scheduled and lucky for us we had one a few days later. Quickly we made plans and preparations. I insisted that we make a campground reservation since I didn't want to risk being left with no where to sleep.

So of course on the day that we were to leave (June 8) the weather would decide to change from its sunny and extremely warm conditions to cold and wet. Luckily I had checked ahead of time and so we packed appropriately for the weather. We arrived with just enough time to set up our camp before a light drizzle started. And through this light drizzle we made our yummy tin foil dinners. Since we had a little bit of light left in the day we decided to drive over to Old Faithful and look at the visitors center (since didn't have a chance to go in their last time). Unfortunately for us we were about an hour too late, the visitors center had already closed. Instead we decided to go into the gift shop. We found a great shirt for Brian, it was a black shirt with a yellow moose's head and resembled the Batman symbol. I found a long sleeve shirt, which I was grateful for that night since it got pretty cold. And finally we decided to get something for a baby since we wont have the opportunity go to Yellowstone again or for a long time.

As we were paying in the gift shop we could hear that the drizzle had changed to a downpour. It was a fun sprint to the car. It rained heavily that entire night and we were grateful for our nice mummy bags and a tent that has no holes. As we packed up our tent the next morning we were surprised how big the puddle under our tent had gotten. We had an extremely wet outside tent, but it was toasty and dry inside.

We decided to explore the upper loop of Yellowstone this trip since on our last trip we only had time for the bottom loop. It was very different from the bottom loop and reminded me more of Yosemite. Brian enjoyed climbing over giant boulders on the side of the road, I wish I had taken some pictures because he was grinning like a little kid. Here are some of my favorite shots from the day:


Brian doesn't pay attention to signs. This was at Roaring Mountain, the steam coming out of the mountain hisses so load it can be heard from 4 miles away.


We had seen a moose earlier in our trip, but hadn't had the opportunity to take a picture because we were rushing to set up our camp. Lucky for us we ran into another moose.


We found this really cool fallen tree that had moss growing all over it. I had wanted Brian to take a picture of it, but he insisted I stand next to it...I love my face.


The Artist Paint Pots are really awesome. I love the colors surrounding the area. We visited it last time and had time to visit it again. Just as remarkable as I remembered it.


This is one of my favorite shots from the day. It was cold and windy, but we still managed to get a good shot with the pools in the background. Sadly the colors weren't as bright as I remember them being last time.



Now for more exciting things. On Wednesday, June 13, I had my first prenatal appointment. I was so nervous and scared because on Thursday night I had had some light bleeding. I was afraid we would do the ultrasound and I would see nothing but an empty void. I was so happy to watch the screen and see an image show up. It's official, we our expecting our first our first child. As long as everything goes well and I do not have a miscarriage I will have a child in the beginning of next year. The doctor was able to measure our baby and according to the measurement I was exactly 7 weeks along. The due date is January 30, 2013, so we can either have a baby born in January or February. Here is a copy of the ultrasound:


In the top image you can clearly see see the little yolk, and the tail is still visible. It is so cute and tiny, only 0.933 cm. Even more amazing in the ultrasound we could see its tiny little heart beating. It brought tears to my eyes, I was so surprised. We were even able to hear the heartbeat for a few seconds. I can't believe how much it has grown in such a short time. Life is growing inside me, and I feel so blessed to be finally experiencing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment